Milton L. Kirkpatrick Jr–Sr High School
During the early part of the nineteenth century, a group of far-sighted and energetic persons migrated to Fort Worth. Greatly concerned about the future of their children, these parents made persistent appeals to the authorities for erection of a public-school building. Finally, in 1906, a one-room school was built and Mrs. Luella Lawson was elected as teacher.
The school was first maintained by the county. Later a lot on Refugio was purchased, on which a two-room building was erected. Mrs. Emma Clayton and Mr. H.F. Randle taught there several years. The city limit was extended, and as a result the Rosen Heights Colored School had its beginning in 1910 in the Shiloh Baptist Church, then located at 811 Cliff, with Miss Mamie Moore as principal. She was succeeded by Mrs. L.B. Horace and Mrs. Lena Upshaw.
In 1912, the Board of Education purchased lots on Lee Avenue and erected another two-room building, bringing about the employment of more teachers, among them Mrs. Beatrice Means, Mr. S.H. Fowler, and Mr. J.C. Coger. The rapid growth of the community necessitated a larger and better equipped school; a location was purchased on Clinton Avenue, where a four-room building was erected and the staff increased with J.M. Brewer, Professor McNorton, Mrs. J.M. Lofton, Mrs. Lucinda Baker, Mrs. Patty Upshaw, and Mrs. Edna Brown-Finley. That building burned in 1921 and an eight-room building was erected in its place.
In 1921, the county and city schools were consolidated with Mr. Jordan as principal. He was replaced by Mr. H.T. Wise, who remained principal eight years, then Mr. Tidwell, then Mr. Kay W. McMillan, Jr. After six years of service, Mr. McMillan was transferred to James E. Guinn Elementary and the late Mr. Charles O. Willis was elected principal. Mrs. Ruby L. Miller followed, serving as principal of the Clinton Avenue School and the Milton L. Kirkpatrick Elementary-Junior High School for eleven years.
In 1950, a new and magnificent edifice was completed at 3201 Refugio, named for the late Milton Leonard Kirkpatrick, former vice principal at I.M. Terrell High School and a former teacher of the school. The old Clinton Avenue School was absorbed into the new Milton L. Kirkpatrick Elementary Junior High School. Growth was phenomenal, and in 1956 it became necessary to add the senior high school department, requiring additional rooms and teachers. Mrs. Ruby L. Miller was elected principal of the combined school and was succeeded by Mr. Frank G. Adams.
In the latter part of January 1959, the new Milton L. Kirkpatrick Elementary School was completed at 3229 Lincoln and opened its doors to more than seven hundred pupils, twenty-five teachers, three custodians, two maids, a secretary, a part-time nurse, a full staff of cafeteria workers, a visiting teacher, and a speech therapist. Mr. Robert L. Gregory, Jr. was elected principal in the summer of 1958, after twelve years as a classroom teacher at Ninth Ward Elementary School.